My Mama, YaYa to her grandbabies, has made these Bran Muffins since we were little. They’re a hit with kids and adults alike! The mix stores in the refrigerator for 4 weeks, which makes it super easy to throw some in the oven and make them fresh each morning.
You just throw all the ingredients together in your largest bowl, like, largest bowl.. (ask me how I know) and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Next morning? Boom. Muffin time!
Our whole family eats these with butter, Poppy (my Dad) more than others.
Apparently putting an obscene amount of butter on muffins is not a universal thing, so heads up, y’all are missing out! Ha! Some of y’all don’t have a YaYa in ya life and it shows. Butter on all the things! My personal favorite way to eat these is cut in half with softened butter. However you eat them, you’re sure to love ’em!
Note: This recipe makes, like, a lot of muffin mix. I don’t even know exactly how many. It’s a lot. 48 maybe?
YaYa’s Bran Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups white sugar
- 2 cups bran buds cereal
- 4 cups all bran cereal
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tsp baking soda
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 6 eggs
The Night Before
- Boil one cup of water. Remove from heat.
- Mix one cup of canola oil into the boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- In the largest bowl you own, mix 3 cups of sugar, 2 cups of bran buds, 4 cups of all bran, 5 cups of flour and 1 tsp of salt together.
- In a medium sized bowl, pour your quart of buttermilk, and add your 5 tsps of baking soda. Stir to combine, then let it sit for a few minutes as it rises.
- Pour your oil and water mixture into the large bowl with the cereal/flour etc.
- Next, add your baking soda and buttermilk mixture to the large bowl.
- Then, add 6 eggs individually. It’s always a good idea to crack your eggs into a little bowl before adding them to err on the side of caution.
- Mix it all together until combined, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Set a stick of butter out to soften.
Time to Bake the Muffins!
- The next morning, give it a good stir, and set your oven to 375º (350º for convection).
- Spray your muffin tin or muffin liners with Pam.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes depending on how much batter you used. A toothpick inserted into the muffin should come out clean, and they’re done!